Monday, August 5, 2013

It's Time to Have a Conversation


We all have so much to say ... all bubbling inside
just beneath the surface... fluttering its wings
making different sounds... inaudible to people around
all we need is, someone... who will listen without
judging, without thinking... and saying things.


A funny thing about conversations once you start, it requires a great self-control to hit a pause button. Introverts and extroverts are well established in their societal territories and they carry on with their lives in their respective comfort zones. Actual victims are the ones, like me, who fall somewhere in between the whole personality spectrum. At times I'm babbling my tongue out making all possible sounds and gestures and then there are times when I find myself looking for nooks and corners so that I can stand in silence, pretending to seek solace and enjoying the perks being a wallflower. But, after a while my mood swings. Damn, it always does.

I'm a good listener. That's what I think of myself. I act like an absorbent, I try, taking it all inside and not leaking it along the fringes. I think I can save it all, stash it and forget it. That's what friends do and that's what I think is right. Suddenly I find myself browsing people around, looking for a kind ear, a listener. Someone who will sit parallel to me like a tamed dog, saying nothing in response but sedating effect in return. Garbage has been piling up for long, dust has been settling for far too long, maybe this attic in my head need dusting and trouncing. Guess I need to shed my leaves, like that almond tree which I see everyday, stand denuded for a while and then stack it all again.

Many conversations I've had 
in my life's parade 
I was hanging like a portrait 
on some wall, hearing all 
saying nothing
in response.

Mussitations, they say a lot 
everyday, as a junkie smoking pot
heard stories inside stories
song stuffed in a song 
saying too little
in response.

I can handle it all 
filtered well through my firewall
systems are far from perfect 
they always are
sanity breached
in response. 

I hear a shrill cry
from echelons in my head flies
cache of thoughts, floating up above
in sky, only to simmer down
plunge out 
in response.

Clutter when heaps up 
it needs a dump
disclosure is all I seek 
for a closure
saying out loud 
in response. 

“My idea of good company...is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company.'
'You are mistaken,' said he gently, 'that is not good company, that is the best.”
― Jane Austen

____________________________________________________ 
Help "Random Scribblings" win at the Indian Blogger Awards 2013 !!
http://www.indiblogger.in/iba/entry.php?edition=1&entry=41590 

Check it out. Drop a comment if you feel like, Recommend over Facebook or Tweet about it. Peek in, promise it won't take long :) 

62 comments:

  1. लगता अच्छा मन से कहना,
    अपनी ही रातों में जगना।

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice read Jyoti! I like the way you bring some interesting thoughts through your writings. Lovely picture!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful- saying out loud
    in response
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conversation - A lot goes into it. A thought provoking read. I agree with Tarang on bringing interesting thoughts in the poem. I liked the verse with firewall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes much is there as some can flair others die out and some will end with a scream and shout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe..
      different kind of listeners at different times :P

      Delete
  6. Loved the tamed dog analogy. Knowing how to listen is an uncommon gift that cannot be learned. Either you are a good listener or you are not. And because it's so difficult to uncommon those who listen usually don't find anyone to dump their own conversations to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes.. I agree with you.
      It's very difficult to find one. Everyone is in a hurry, everyone is occupied with something or the other..

      Welcome here !!

      Delete
  7. "disclosure is all I seek for a closure" -some sort of confession you wish to make ? :-)
    A camaraderie of conversant friends is alright but some time one needs someone very intimate to blurt out/share what remains uncomfortable within! May be you need one -sooner the better! :-)
    Good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. No, no confessions :P
      as far as question goes whether I need one or not.. well let's keep that a secret :D

      Delete
  8. The listeners are usually like portraits hanging on a wall... a nice analogy ,and other lovely expressions,Jyoti!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think being a good listener is a great quality to have. So many people just want to talk and they never care to listen what you have to say in return. I hope you find that great listener that you are looking for, if not, talk to me, I will listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murees you are such a sweet heart :)
      I'll definitely let you know when I need someone to listen..

      you having said that.. means a lot to me :)

      Delete
  10. Only if informed people were well informed of what clans I came from would they understand where I stand when they talk and where they should stand when I decide to.
    So far, we've all been let down and we've all been letdowners too.

    The prologue to the poem was kind, to me.

    Regards,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a true thing to say..
      we've all been let down and we've all been letdowners too.

      Thanks Anshul.. glad you liked it.

      Delete
  11. Uff, u narrate o well.... Ur prose is as lyrical as ur poetry....btw, i guess i m ur opposite....i can go on blabbering n then its hard for others to make me stop n listen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ritesh..
      opposite or not I like you the way you are :)

      Delete
  12. I am like you - falling somewhere in-between on the conversational spectrum. I venture to say that most people do fall in-between. I lean torwads introversion though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lean in the same direction.. we are alike in that sense :)

      Delete
  13. every word of your post was striking me so hard while i was reading it. by the way, you ought to be a patient listener! just saying coz you are a good writer and good writers are mostly avid listeners:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks..
      really glad you could relate.
      Whether I'm a good listener or not.. well I leave that for speaker to decide :)

      Delete
  14. I listen to the characters in my head and answer them with my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm the same as you. Sometimes I crave society, but often, society makes me want to avoid it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice...this is something that has been resonating with me the last couple days....communication...conversations....how much we really engage in them...i think we need that connection...i will talk to anyone...so i am on the extro side of things....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah your last post was on similar grounds :)
      We all need connections..

      Take care Brian !!

      Delete
  17. My goodness, that's gorgeous. I especially loved the portrait image in relation to communication.

    I'm off to vote/tweet you up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was beautiful. And the photo... so precious. Happy IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
  19. really good communication is some of the hardest things in the world i think - usually we listen not well enough and if we know the person we're talking to already, we interpret things into what they say based on our experience with them instead to listen anew.... a wide theme...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We interpret things..
      yeah that's right and sometimes we take it the other way .
      Wide theme indeed :)

      Delete
  20. Thought provoking, Jyoti. I am a good listener, but I'm also an introvert, and it is usually after a conversation that I think of the million and one questions I wished I'd asked. Extroverts are adept at keeping the conversation going, but I end up answering questions rather than asking them. The result? Much regret for lost opportunity.

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  21. One can immediately see good company when talking with someone. Being a good listener will bring big gains. One can learn as long as the conversation is not one-sided. Beautiful take Jyoti!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. learning is the most precious part in this.. isn't it :)

      Delete
  22. I am a good listener too. I was named agony uncle in my college.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Conversation with good company can be fun. However, when the company isn't good, God saves us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear not even god can save us when that happens :P

      Delete
  24. I am a self-confessed introvert Jyoti - but learned to be an extrovert too. I do so love good conversation - but sometimes just want to be by myself, quite often in fact and enjoy my solitude - but I am regarded as a damned good listener and folk want to tell me everything...
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...
      I'd love to have a session with you some day :)

      Delete
  25. We switch roles from the one who talks to being a listener. you have genuinely done justice to both.
    lovely write up..:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. People have added a lot, I don’t know what to say. Interesting, as well intellectual writing!! A good conversation I think is in balance talk or sharing... rather quiet or talkative. Love that cute photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeevan..
      I agree balance is must..
      excess just mess it up :)

      Delete
  27. Well, I am a bit selective about making conversation. Silences are sometimes pleasing to the ear, especially, when you are tired with existence. I love your poetry...very beautifully woven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes they are..
      agree with you there :)

      Thanks !!

      Delete
  28. Silence is a retreat, while listening is a gift. Silence helps us understand ourselves better, while listening helps others to unburden the weight of their minds. Enjoyed reading this very much. Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome here..
      Silence has it's own perks.. no doubt about that :)

      Thanks !!

      Delete
  29. I wish I was a good listener. But I do have friends who are my support line whenever I am down in the dumps. A good talk at such times makes one feel a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does..
      in that sense I'm lucky too. I've few very good people who can listen to me non-stop if I want to :)

      Delete
  30. I wonderful read i must say!
    Sometimes every listener needs a person who could just listen them.
    "Suddenly I find myself browsing people around, looking for a kind ear, a listener. Someone who will sit parallel to me like a tamed dog, saying nothing in response but sedating effect in return. Garbage has been piling up for long, dust has been settling for far too long, maybe this attic in my head need dusting and trouncing. Guess I need to shed my leaves, like that almond tree which I see everyday, stand denuded for a while and then stack it all again."
    Wonderful lines. i feel like reading them again and again.

    ReplyDelete

Write whatever may come to your mind..
I'm here with my fingers on keyboard waiting to reply :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...